According to Hindu mythology, wherever the pieces of body parts, clothes and ornaments worn by Sati fell, a Shakti Peetha came into existence. These are scattered all over Indian subcontinent. There are 51 Shakti Peethas in Devi Purana. Whereas Devi Bhagavad suggests 108 Peeths and Devi Gita suggest 72 Shakti Peeths, while Tntrcudamani suggest 52 Shakti Peeths. Devi Purana definitely discussed about 51 Peethas. Some are abroad from these Peeths. At present India has 42, Pakistan has 1, Bangladesh has 4, Sri lanka has 1, Tibet has 1 and Nepal has 2 Shakti Peetha. read story of the Shakti Peeths
Shakti Peeths in detail:
1. Kirit Shaktipeeth: situated on the Lalbagh coat bank of Hooghly river in West Bengal. Kirat means Sirabhushan or crown of Sati mata was dropped there. Idols are Devi as Vimala(Pure) and Shiva as Sangbarta.
2. Katyayani Shaktipeeth: situated in Bhooteshwar in Vrindavan, Mthura, where Sati’s hairs dropped. Devi signifies power whereas Bhairav signifies Bhutesh(Lord of living beings).
3. Krvir Shaktipeeth: situated in Kolhapur, Maharashtra. Devi’s three eyes fell there.Idols are Devi as Mahishmardini and Shiva as Krodhish.
4. Shri Parvat Shaktipeeth: Some scholars believe that it is situated in Ladakh whereas some believes that it is in Silhat in Assam. Idols are Devi as Shri Sundari and Shiva as Sundaranand .
5. Vishalakshi Shaktipeeth: Devi's earrings (Kundal) fell here and it is situated on Meeraghat in Varanasi, U. P.Idols are Devi as VishwaLakschmi and Shiva as Kala.
6. Godavari Coast Shaktipeeth: located in Kabbur in Godavari coast, Andhra Pradesh. Devi's left cheek fell here and the idols are Vishweshwari (mother of the world) and Shiva as Dandapani.
7. Shuchindram Shaktipeeth: located near the southernmost tip of India, Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu.Devi's upper teeth fell here and the idols are Devi asNarayani and Shiva as Sanghar.
8. PanchasagarShakti: Exact place of this Peeth is not known, but Devi's lower teeth fell here and the idols are Devi as Barahi and Shiva as Maharudra.
9. Jvalamukhi Shaktipeeth: located in Kangra, Himachal Pradesh. Devi's tongue fell here and the idols are Devi as Ambika and Shiva as Unmatta.
10. Bhairava Parvat Shaktipeeth: There is a tiff between scholars regarding its location. Some argue to be in Girinagar, Gujarat while some argue to be in near Shipra river in Ujjain, Madhya Prades, where Devi's upper lips fell. Idols are Devi as Avanti and Shiva as Lambakarna. Harsiddhi Temple
11. Attahas Shaktipeeth: is in Labhpur near West Bengal. Devi's lower lips fell here and the idols are Devi as Fullara and Shiva as Bhairabh Vishwesha.
12. Jnsthan Shaktipeeth: located in Panchavati in Nasik, Maharashtra. Devi's chin fell here and the idols are Devi as Bhramari and Shiva as Vikrakatakkha.
13. Kashmir or Amarnath Shaktipeeth: is in Amarnath, Jammu Kashmir. Devi's neck fell here and the idols are Devi as Mahamaya and Shiva as Trisandhyasvar.
14. Nndipur Shaktipeeth: located in Santhya in West Bengal. Devi's necklace fell here and the idols are Devi as Nandini and Shiva as Nandikishore.
15. Shri Shail Shaktipeeth: near Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh. Part of Devi’s neck fell here. Idols are Devi as Mahalakshmi and Shiva as Shambaranand.
16. Nalhati Shaktipeeth: is in Bolpur, West Bengal. Devi's vocal pipe fell here and the idols are Devi as Kalika and Shiva as Yogesh.
17. Mithila Shaktipeeth : It’s location is still unkown. Location is considered to be at three places, in Janakpur in Nepal and in Bihar's Samastipur and Saharsa, where Devi's left shoulder fell. Idols are Devi as Mahadevi and Shiva as Mahodara.
18. Ratnavali Shaktipeeth: Location is unkown, suggested to be located near Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Devi's right shoulder fell here and the idols are Devi as Kumari and Shiva as Bhairava.
19. Ambaji Shaktipeeth: located in Girnar hills, Gujarat. Devi's stomach fell here and the idols are Devi as Chandrabhaga and Shiva as Vakratunda.
20. Jallandhar Shaktipeeth: located in Jallandhar, Punjab. Devi's left breasts fell here and the idols are Devi as Tripurmalini and Shiva as Bhisan.
21. Ramagiri Shaktipeeth: Exact location is not known, some debate in Chitrakoot, U. P. while others debate in Meher, Madhya Pradesh. Devi's right breasts fell here and the idols are Devi as Shivani and Shiva as Chanda.
22. Vaidyanath Shaktipeeth: located in Jharkhand's Giridih, Deoghar. Devi's heart fell here and the idols are Devi as Jaidurga and Shiva as Vaidyanath. It is believed that Sati cremated here.
23. Vakreshwar Shaktipeeth: located in Santhya, West Bengal. Devi's mind or the centre of the brows fell here and the idols are Devi as Mahishamardini and Shiva as Vakranath.
24. Kanyakashram Kanyakumari Shaktipeeth: located in Kanyakumari’s three seas Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea and is situated at the confluence of Bay of Bengal, Tamil Nadu. Devi's back fell here and the idols are Devi as Sharvani and Shiva as Nimisha.
25. Bahula Shaktipeeth: located in Katwa, Veerbhum, W.B. Devi's left arm fell here and the idols are Devi as Bahula and Shiva as Bhiruk.
26. Ujjayini Shaktipeeth: located on both banks of the sacred Kshipra in Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh. Devi's elbows fell here and the idols are Devi as Mangalchandi and Shiva as Kapilambar.
27. Manivedika Shaktipeeth: located in Pushkar, Rajasthan. Gayatri Mandir is the another name. Devi's middle of the palms or both wrists fell here and the idols are Devi as Gayatri and Shiva as Sarvananda.
28. Prayag Shaktipeeth: located in Allahabad, U. P. Devi's ten fingers fell here and the idols are Devi as Lalita and Shivaas Bhava.
29. Virjakshetra, Utkal Shaktipeeth: located in Puri and Yajpur, Orissa. Devi's navel fell here and the idols are Devi as Vimala and Shiva as Jagannath.
30. Kanchi Shaktipeeth: located in Kanchivaram, Tamil Nadu. Devi's skeleton fell here and the idols are Devi as Devagarbha and Shiva as Ruru.
31. Kalmadhav Shaktipeeth: Exact location is not known. But Devi's right hips fell here and the idols are Devi as Kali and Shiva as Asitananda.
32. Sona Shaktipeeth: located in Bihar. Devi's left hips fell here and the idols are Devi as Narmada and Shiva as Vadrasen.
33. Kamakhya Shaktipeeth: located in hills of Kamagiri, Assam. Devi's yoni or Vagina fell here and the idols are Devi as Kamakhya and Shiva as Umananda.
34. Jayanti Shaktipeeth: located in Jayantia Hills, Assam. Devi’s left thigh fell here and idols are Devi as Jayanti and Shiva as Bhairav ??Kramdishhwar.
35. Magadh Shaktipeeth: located in Patna, Bihar. Devi's right thigh fell here and the idols are Devi as Sarvanandkari and Shiva as Vyomkesha.
36. Tristota Shaktipeeth: located on the banks of Tista river in Shalbari village in Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal.Devi's left feet fell here and the idols are Devi as Bhramari and Shiva as Iswar .
37. Tripura Sundari Shaktitripuri Shaktipeeth: located in Kishor village, Tripura. Devi's right foot fell here and the idols are Devi as Tripurasundari and Shiva as Tripuresh.
38. Vibhash Shaktipeeth: located in Tamluk, in the district of Medinipur, West Bengal. Devi's left ankle fell here and the idols are Devi as Bhimarupa and Shiva as Sarvananda.
39. Devikup Peeth Kurukshetra Shaktipeeth: located near the lake near the dwaipayan Shakti, in Kurukshetra Junction, Haryana. Devi's right ankle fell here and the idols are Devi as Savitri or Sthanu and Shiva as Aswanath. Devikup Peeth Kurukshetra
40. Yugadya Shaktipeeth, Kshirgram Shaktipeeth: located in Khirgram, West Bengal. Devi's right toe fell here and the idols are Devi as Yogadaya and Shiva as Khirakantha.
41. Ambika Virat Shaktipeeth: located in Vairatgram in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Devi's small toes of the feet fell here and idols are Devi as Ambika and Shiva as Amrita.
42. Kalighat Shaktipeeth: located in Kalighat in Calcutta, West Bengal. Also known as Kaalimandir. Devi's four small toes from her right foot fell here and the idols are Devi as Kali and Shiva as Nakuleesh or Nakuleeshwar.
43. Manasa Shaktipeeth: located near Manasarovar lake, Tibet. Devi's right hand or palm fell her and the idols are Devi as Dakhchayani and Shiva as Amar.
44. Lanka Shaktipeeth: located in Sri Lanka. Devi’s feet bells (Nupur) fell here and the idols are Devi as Indrakschi and Shiva as Rakchaseswara.
45. Gandaki Shaktipeet: located in Muktinath, Nepal. Devi's right cheek fell here and the idols are Devi as Gandakichandi and Shiva as Chakrapani.
46. ??Guhyeshwari Shaktipeeth: located near Pashupathinath Mandir in Kathmandu, Nepal. Devi's two knees fell here and the idols are Devi as Mahamaya and Shiva as Kapali.
47. Hinglaaj Shaktipeeth: located in Hingula, Pakistan. Devi's mind or brain fell here and the idols are Devi as Kotari and Shiva as Bhimlochan.
48. Sugandha Shaktipeeth: located on the banks of the river in Khulna, Bangladesh. Devi's nose fell here and idols are Devi as Sunanada and Shiva as Traimbak.
49. Kartoyagat Shaktipeeth: located in the banks of Karotoa, Bangladesh. Devi's left seat or her clothing fell here and ldols are Devi as Aparna and Shiva as Bhairava.
50. Chattal Shaktipeeth: located in Chatgaon, Bangladesh. Devi's right arm fell here and the idols are Devi as Bhavani (Devi) and Shiva as Chandrashekhar.
51. Yashor Shaktipeeth: located in Jessore, Bangladesh. Devi's centre of the hands fell here and the idols are Jashoreswari and Shiva as Chanda.